Friday, August 18, 2017

Tavio's Hat Collection

Featured this week is Tavio, a resident at an Imagine! Group Home, and Chelsea, Residential Counselor at the Group Home. These two tell a fun story about Tavio’s lifelong collection of hats.

Tavio and I took some time to look through and reminisce about all his hats this morning while waiting for his ride to program. He started by telling me that his niece gave him the hat that he is wearing now, a brown, floppy, cowboy/sun hat. It is one of 60+ hats.

"I put different hats on every morning" he says as he pulls out all of his hats from the large box, one at a time. Sometimes Tavio wears multiple hats throughout the day. "Yeah, on Saturday and Sunday," is when he wears up to 5 or 6 hats (not all at the same time), changing them out at random times whenever he feels like he wants a new one on his head.

Tavio pulled out a hat with the character "Goofy" on it. "I got this one at Disney Land." He pulled out some peculiar hats, too. One of them was a police hat he wore for Halloween last year, and another one was a plastic green Irish bucket hat he got from Food Share. He wears these even when it's not a holiday. Sometimes he just feels like looking like a police officer. Sometimes he strolls around the house wearing a Santa Claus hat, and last week he wore it out in the community. Christmas in August!

I asked him which hats were his favorite. He responded with "all of them are my favorites. My sister got me this one, my Superman hat." Tavio remembers most of the people who gave him hats, even people who he has not seen in a very long time. "Oh yeah, that guy that worked with me a long time ago. I think his name was Keith, I don't know. He don't work there anymore. He gave me this one," a green fisherman hat. He has multiple Imagine! hats, too.

What Tavio loves about hats the most is that they keep his head warm. Tavio wants people to know that it "feels good to have all these hats."


No comments:

Post a Comment