Thursday, September 13, 2018

2018 DSP Week vol. 5 - Sean Van Lierop


To celebrate Direct Support Professional (DSP) Recognition Week, each day we are highlighting a standout DSP from one of Imagine!’s several service departments. Today’s spotlight is Sean Van Lierop, who works at Imagine!’s Foothills Group Home in Boulder.

When I sat down with Sean to talk about his job, I noticed that majority of the conversation gravitated toward him complimenting others. He told stories about being inspired on his first day of work, the way other counselors offered care to the residents. How grateful he was to work for Imagine!, the “best company I’ve ever worked for.” Or how one of the residents, Robert, inspires him to be a better person.

I find it fitting that Sean’s outlook is focused on the good of others, because according to his co-workers, he reflects that same good natured demeanor.

Sean commenced employment with the Foothills Group Home a little over a year ago. “My friend called me up and said ‘Imagine! is a great job where you can help people,’” remarks Sean. “I said ‘OK, I don’t need to know anymore’ and applied. It’s the first job where I’ve ever been excited to go to work.”

Sean has his share of experiences in the workforce. Law firms, retail, and teaching math to kids just to name a few. Imagine!’s attraction was the aspect of helping others. “I’ve always liked helping people, I just never knew how.” He jumped into his role at the group home having little experience in direct care, but knew that he wanted to give it a shot.

“Sean enjoys a challenge and consistently wants to learn new things to increase his knowledge about the field he has grown to be so passionate about,” said Foothills Site Supervisor Sarah Gumson.

Having settled in and feeling comfortable with the job’s routine, Sean aspires to branch out and try something new with one of the residents. Robert, longtime client and friend of Imagine!, is a big fan of rock n’ roll and live music. Sean and Robert plan to venture to Red Rocks Amphitheater in Morrison, CO to give Robert his first Red Rocks experience. “We’re going to look at the lineup, listen to the recordings, and figure out who he likes,” said Sean.


Right before Sean launched a career in the field of direct care, a friend of his told him ‘you can’t help yourself without learning how to help others, and you can’t help others without learning how to help yourself.’

“I was confused by this statement, horribly,” said Sean. “It wasn’t until I learned how to support the residents at the group home that I realized I was ignoring my own needs: time management, health, and self-interests.” Sean’s devotion to Imagine! and direct care inspired him to take it a step further and pursue a degree in nursing.

“Imagine! definitely restores my faith in humanity, seeing all the good people can do,” said Sean. “I work with people who not only give a damn, they give a lot of damns, they give all of the damns.”

No comments:

Post a Comment