Monday, January 14, 2019

Imagine! Leadership Development Group Update

Today, members of Imagine!’s Leadership Development Group (LDG) talk about their experiences in the first few months of the program.

Imagine!'s 2018-19 Leadership Development Group. Left to right: Paula McCormick, Emily Walsh, Victoria Thorne, Gabbie Norton, and Jessie Michaud

Gabbie: Participating in LDG for the past two months has been an eye opening and challenging experience for me, in all of the right ways. Soon after I joined LDG, my position switched to a supervisor role, so everything that I am learning has been immediately applicable and beneficial to my new job. Most recently, we read the book "Lean In" and attended a five week course on leadership. Both the book and the class helped me realize that I have a tendency to back away from challenges when I feel uncomfortable or as though I do not have enough to contribute. I am learning how important it is to share thoughts, feedback, and ideas with others, as it is the only way we grow personally and professionally together. I am so thankful to have these opportunities during such an ideal time in my career!

Jessie: Work has been an adventure these past few months. Currently CORE/Labor Source (CLS) is going through a restructure in which I am creating and stepping into a new role, and the Longmont site moved to a new location (we are still trying to settle into the new space). Work has been busier for me than ever before. Adding the additional work of LDG can seem daunting at times; additional meetings, books to read, a 5-week Leadership class series in Denver, conferences, and then writing about it all to share with you. And yet it is also helping to guide me through all the change and the unknown. Our leadership course has helped drive my ideas as I take on new responsibilities. It has also forced me to practice my communication skills and focus on what kind of leader I want to become. Even though it has been additional work each week, it is helping me move forward with clearer intention and has provided me with new friends from other departments who can help me broaden my view as I try new things.

Victoria: LDG has helped me become more aware of and strengthened my leadership and communication abilities. It has created a positive impact on my work and encourages me to think about the impact I have at Imagine!. I have learned to tap deeper into active listening, reflection, and collaboration to better achieve tasks, goals, and personal growth. "Lean In" has had a substantial impact on my professional growth and outlook as a future leader. Most notably is the challenge of how to be successful in the workplace as a woman. I have discovered that I can create barriers for myself that impede my success. The book and my mentors have inspired me to take hold of those fears and challenge them to create my own success. I am beginning to realize that being a leader is more than just accomplishing tasks and goals. Good leaders juggle a vast amount of responsibilities while encouraging themselves and their team to grow.

Paula: I have found being a part if the LDG challenging in the sense of learning new things, time commitments/management, and balancing my job responsibilities with LDG duties. It has presented me with a chance to learn new skills and enhance ones I already had. The Leadership Series of classes that we have been attending has provided me with those skills and enhancements. I count myself fortunate, I have several individuals helping support my involvement in this process. If it were not for the support of Santa Fe’s staff, my peers, my supervisor, my mentors and my fellow LDG’ers, I truly do not feel that I would be able to do this. Thank you all for your support, it is much appreciated.

Emily: LDG has had a significant impact on me. Most notably with my time management. With the added responsibility of LDG I have had to improve my ability to delegate tasks and use my time more wisely. One of the things that we have gotten to do is complete the Leadership Series of classes. While this added a big time commitment for the last 5 weeks it also really helped me see areas of leadership that I would like to improve upon. Another impact on me has been the other LDG members. Because we all come from different parts of the company I am able to gain greater insight as to what is happening at different sites and I am able to share what challenges my team is facing. I have also gained a sounding board of four great women to share ideas, insight and support which has been really beneficial for me.

1 comment:

  1. Hey,
    The information you've shared in this blog is remarkable. Thanks for sharing such quality information. It was very useful for me. I'm happy I found this blog. I too always learn something new from your post.
    Also I am writing into the field of Leadership Development and. Please go through to the link Traits of Highly Successful Leaders in 2020..
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete