Friday, June 23, 2017

Betty

Betty accepts services from Imagine! and lives on her own in Boulder. (Betty and I chatted in her apartment and she gave us permission to write up her comments). 
Pictured below is Betty and her two birds, Pepper and Angel. 



I grew up in Pittsburgh and at that time, they didn’t have the type of programs for me they have here. I grew up with animals, dogs and cats, but we had to get rid of them as we moved around a lot for my father’s work.

I’m 69 years old and I have learned to push yourself and take what you can get. When I moved to Colorado over 30 years ago, my sister taught me how to take care of myself … how to use my fork, use the restroom, get dressed, and more. I have worked at a restaurant in Boulder for 26 years and had to be on my feet a lot, serving people, folding napkins, and cleaning bathrooms.

I participate in Self Advocates Becoming Empowered (SABE). It’s a human rights group and we advocate for rights of people with disabilities. I want everybody to love each other and don’t like to see hate. Be kind and give presents to people all the time, not just at Christmas time. To those kids who want to get married, it’s none of my business, but take your time. Be patient for everything and understand people.

One of my favorite memories is a long time ago, when I was visiting my nephew at his house. His daddy told him to get on his lap so he would calm down before bedtime. He said, “no!” His mamma asked him, “Why aren’t you listening to your daddy?” And my nephew responded, “I want Aunt Betty’s lap!”

No comments:

Post a Comment