Friday, May 31, 2013

John Knows The Meaning Of Memorial Day

This blog post came to a friend of John’s today via an audio email. John is a resident at the Bob and Judy Charles SmartHome in Boulder where all of the residents have access to an audio email system that allows them to send and receive audio emails.

Hey, this is your buddy John speaking. I was wondering if you want to come to visit any time you like, but I have softball on Tuesday so I play at 5:00. I know that this is really important to know if you want to come to my game, that’s OK. But, otherwise I’ll be thinking of you.

How was Memorial Day? I hope that you had a good time remembering the soldiers and to pray for them on Memorial Day. I was wondering if you could tell me a newer joke.

This is John working at his job at In Clover,
a Boulder company that makes pet supplements.

Here is the reply from John's friend.

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to send me the audio email. I also play softball on Tuesdays over at Stazio Field, but I just checked our schedule for next week and my game is not until 7:00 so I will come to Mapleton Field to watch you play at 5:00 next Tuesday, June 4th. 

I appreciate how you and all of your housemates and the staff make me feel so welcome whenever I visit. It means a lot to me when I am greeted with such enthusiasm, and I don't take it for granted.  I remember back in March when I had a concussion and I had to take some time off work but I came by one night just because I knew that seeing you and the rest of the Bob and Judy Charles SmartHome gang would pick up my spirits, and you all did, so thanks. 

I enjoyed Memorial Day and the entire weekend.  At church they had all of us who are veterans (I was in the Army for four years) stand up to be recognized.  It was nice but a little embarrassing because I never had to go to battle like all of the soldiers who died and what Memorial Day is about. I'm really happy to know that you are so aware of the meaning of Memorial Day, and yes, I did remember the soldiers and prayed for them.  My Uncle Louie, who I never met, died in World War Two.  My aunt gave me his Purple Heart award because she said I reminded her of Uncle Louie.  I pray for all of his buddies who died that day, January 15th, 1945, in Belgium.  I even pray for the German soldiers who killed him because everyone needs prayers.

So, here's a joke for you, I hope it's a new one for you.  "What did the water say to the boat?  Nothing, it just waved."  I'll see you Tuesday at your softball game, and thanks for letting me know what time you play. 

No comments:

Post a Comment